The #general thread

Bombchu Link

The #general thread

Post by Bombchu Link »

I need a thread with few pages of replies to make sure the forums look alright and everything is functioning properly.

So, to mark this time in history, of June 2023. The newest ongoings is that AI is really good/scary now. The enonomy in the USA is in shambles, and 'The Legend of Zelda - Tears of the Kingdom' has released.

Pick a topic, or just reply with anything. :shrugs:
64bitmodels

Post by 64bitmodels »

AI is cool, US economy sucks, and TOTK is a reskin (but a fun one)

I want better battery technology in the next 20 years because lithium ion is insufferable
Lethrys

Post by Lethrys »

Bombchu Link wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:21 pm I need a thread with few pages of replies to make sure the forums look alright and everything is functioning properly.

So, to mark this time in history, of June 2023. The newest ongoings is that AI is really good/scary now. The enonomy in the USA is in shambles, and 'The Legend of Zelda - Tears of the Kingdom' has released.

Pick a topic, or just reply with anything. :shrugs:
I'm pretty undecided where I stand on AI as a whole, but I do think it's pointless to try and stifle its development (especially with "counter-AI") because eventually it's gonna get to the point where you're just not gonna know if it's AI or not. US economy I don't have an educated opinion about, and I'm completely out of touch with whatever Nintendo's doing. For instance, I didn't even know there was a Metroid Prime remake until Nerrel made a video about it.
Bombchu Link

Post by Bombchu Link »

Lethrys wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:25 pm I'm pretty undecided where I stand on AI as a whole, but I do think it's pointless to try and stifle its development (especially with "counter-AI") because eventually it's gonna get to the point where you're just not gonna know if it's AI or not. US economy I don't have an educated opinion about, and I'm completely out of touch with whatever Nintendo's doing. For instance, I didn't even know there was a Metroid Prime remake until Nerrel made a video about it.
Yeah, AI will be as good if not better than humans could ever be tbh. I think what's going to happen is people are going to learn how to use tools to better set up the AI to do things in very specific ways (prompters is what they are calling them right now?) I think the skillset will move from using photoshop to using prompts in terms of skills. Also we are a long way off from a program being able to write an entire other program. That's just not at that level yet.

Nerrel is very based, and probably one of my favorite youtubers. He really has just he right level of sarcasm for his videos, and he made the Majora's Mask HD texture pack (cannot wait for the decomp for MM to be done so textures can be ported over and I can play it on my not super amazing PC) so I have to put him toward the top as my favorite content creators.
64bitmodels wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:18 pm I want better battery technology in the next 20 years because lithium ion is insufferable
Explain.
64bitmodels

Post by 64bitmodels »

Bombchu Link wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:38 pm Explain.

It degrades over use, it likes to explode, the battery capacity is awful for any device that's not running ARM, it's reaching it's limits IMO and i want a development in the next few years (perferably something cool like solid state batteries)

Of course this is all coming to me now because of the Steam Deck and that device's battery life being pretty mediocre. But while i was satisifed in this past i feel like we could get something much better, these days.
Bombchu Link

Post by Bombchu Link »

64bitmodels wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:58 pm Steam Deck
Unfortunately when you're packing as much power as they do, you really drain battery quickly. Devices that don't use a lot of power get a lot better battery life. My pixel 5 has 3 days worth of energy on a full charge, a flip phone can have as much as two weeks, and the wii U pro controllers, I've seen go over 6 months on a single charge. I think what you're experiencing is more of a steam deck issue than an actual lack of advancements in batteries unfortunately.

On a more general note, I've seen a few of my friends get Steam Decks, and I've played on one for a few hours and they are quite fun. Quite the emulation beast, as well as good compatibility with a lot of windows games. I don't really know what it's like when you try to install windows on it, or know how good it really is at that point, but it's certainly quite an achievement, especially with the advancements on the end of SteamOS/Proton. The year of linux will probably always be a pipe dream, but the contributions that Valve has made to it really makes it go from a niche community thing, to something that's actually closer to a viable alternative, especially on older hardware (and 32 bit systems as of late)
Last edited by Bombchu Link on Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hina

Post by hina »

since there is no actual "say hi" thread, i'm going to say hi in the general one instead

hi hi
Bombchu Link

Post by Bombchu Link »

hina wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:10 am since there is no actual "say hi" thread, i'm going to say hi in the general one instead

hi hi
Hello Hina! Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your stay, lurking, and/or posting.

Have you had an epic year so far? We're almost at the halfway point now, so hopefully things have been going well. :)
hina

Post by hina »

Bombchu Link wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:15 pm
hina wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:10 am since there is no actual "say hi" thread, i'm going to say hi in the general one instead

hi hi
Hello Hina! Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your stay, lurking, and/or posting.

Have you had an epic year so far? We're almost at the halfway point now, so hopefully things have been going well. :)
i wish i had good news to share but so far, no luck =w= maybe in the second half of the year, we'll see
but hey, on the bright side, nothing in particular... well, almost - has really been that bad
it's been stable for the most part
Bombchu Link

Post by Bombchu Link »

hina wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:32 pm
Bombchu Link wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:15 pm

hi hi

i wish i had good news to share but so far, no luck =w= maybe in the second half of the year, we'll see
but hey, on the bright side, nothing in particular... well, almost - has really been that bad
it's been stable for the most part
(The triple quote!)

Well that's good, when things aren't getting worse it's always a thing to be thankful for.

As for me, I've been going to the gym (good), dating (not so well...) and losing weight (down 30lbs). I've been doing general life improvement stuff, and I'm just making certain aspect of my life that are lacking, a priority now. It's slow, but I'm trying to work on just one or two things at a time. That's one of the reason game dev has been slower than I'd like. I need to have more of a life than just that.